8.22.2007

The First Supper



It has taken me awhile to swallow this whole wheat-free deal. Last night I mustered up the courage to cook again. I've been living off rice and beans to get by, (my ultra comfort food) but frankly, I'm sick of it. Hallelujah! I'm quite positive Asian cuisine will be a great place to start. I think some veggie fried rice is in order. Asian food has tons of wheat free standards - rice, rice noodle, rice wrappers, fresh veggies. All good things I use frequently. So I start chopping. Chopping is rewarding. Chopping vegetables is monotonous. It's a good time for meditation. A time to reflect on one of the best things in life. Food. Food is something that nourishes us and brings us together. It's sensory. It's a basic need.
This looks good right?


So I had heard from some resources to pick up some Organic Tamari Soy Sauce. So I did that already, but man, I've got to tell you how freaking bummed out I was when I went to make my favorite peanut dipping sauce and noticed that the Hoisin is not wheat free. It hit the sore spot. I LOVE hoisin sauce with my Asian Spring Rolls (to be posted another time). I will have to check and see if there is another brand that will work for me.

Vegetable Fried Rice
(this version is vegetarian and wheat-free and is easily adapted to accomodate meat)

2 cups cooked brown rice - cold
1 small finely chopped onion
1 red pepper, chopped fine
30 peapods, chopped
1 chopped carrot
can of water chestnuts - drained
can of bamboo shoots - drained
1-2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 packed fried rice seasoning*


3 eggs, scrambled with a bit of milk and set aside

generous bunch of chopped cilantro (can use mint as well) for granish
4 chopped scallions for garnish


*I'd like to point out that I am working on a homemade seasoning mix, but until then, this will have to work.

You will want to use cold rice to make this to get the great texture in fried rice. I use brown rice because it is healthier and also holds up well. You can use Basmati as well.
Start out by frying up some scrambled eggs in another small pan, set aside. Then sauté vegetables you have chosen in a bit of sesame oil - we just want to soften them a bit, not cook through. When they are a bit more tender, push into a bowl to wait it out. Add your rice to the hot pan to fry it up. Add more sesame oil if you need to. Add back in the vegetables and toss in packet of fried rice seasoning, mix gently. Fold in eggs. Sprinkle with cilantro and scallions. Add Tamari to taste.




No comments:

Copyright

© 2007 All writing and photography is owned by Lollya.