6.18.2007

Ready. Set. Grow.














I'm hopping on the culinary wagon. I've been cooking my entire life, but never has it been more definitive of who I am than now. The busier I get, the more I want to just hole up in my tiny kitchen and have a go at my fresh veggies. Rinse and chop and marry them into a mouth explosion deserving of a Roman god.


I find cooking such a calming experience, that I often find myself daydreaming of the next tastebud-slapping match that I will compete in.

It's officially summer now, so I can only think of one recipe to start this journey out with. So, here goes...

Kick Ass Mexican Black Bean Burger
This veggie option burger has a wonderful contrast with a crunchy crust and a smooth soft interior. It's spicy and delicious. It's kicks frozen veggie burger ass.
  • 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 a red bell pepper, diced fine
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced fine
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp. chipotle powder
  • 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (can use regular)
  • Serve on a toasted onion bun (we were out of them for the pic above) spread with yellow mustard. Top with sharp cheddar, sliced red onion, sliced tomato, few leaves of cilantro and drizzle with bbq sauce.

    1. Preheat your grill
    2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until it's paste-like
    3. Add chopped vegetables
    4. Crack an egg over everything
    5. Toss in your spices
    6. Mix slowly and incorporate panko until it takes form
    7. Divide into 5 equal portions and form patties
    8. Wrap in tinfoil
    9. Grill for 10 - 15 mins until good crust forms on the outside
    10. Serve on bun with the fixings mentioned above

No comments:

Copyright

© 2007 All writing and photography is owned by Lollya.