2.09.2008

African Red Pepper Peanut Soup

I've been slacking here. It's not my fault really, the camera went off and died on me. B says it's the lens, which apparently is a better part to break than the motor. But, blog without a photo? EEK. Lucky for me, I have a ton of food photos to blog about.

It's been a pretty unkind Winter here in Minneapolis. The sun has even seemed to be running from the cold and wind.

Enter my recipe for an African Peanut Soup. It's sure to warm up your inside. This soup is such a crazy mix of tastes I have never experienced. The first time I made it, I went straight back for more and even made a new batch the very next day. If you enjoy Pad Thai, Curries, Peanut sauces or just peanut butter in general, get on with making this.


Here we go:
3 Tbsp olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped fine

2 large red bell peppers, chopped fine

5 cloves garlic, minced

2 cans tomatoes with green chilies (Mexican tomatoes)

8 cups vegetable stock

2 Tbsp chili powder

1 cup crunchy peanut butter

2 cups cooked brown rice

salt and pepper to taste

How to put it all together:
  1. Place olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onions and red peppers until slightly caramelized and tender add the chili powder, mix. Add garlic towards the end. Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  2. Stir in peanut butter really well, add in rice and cook 10 more minutes, with the pot covered.

3 comments:

Winkyboy said...

Looks delicious! I'm forwarding this on to the wife. :)

lollya said...

Thanks Winkyboy! It truly is a meal within itself. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Michael LaMere said...

This looks absolutely amazing. I love spicy/tasty meals like this. If there is one thing I don't like about certain foods is the lack of flavoring. Most of the time the food I eat on a regular basis is very bland. I like to spice things up with peppers and black pepper and the rest of my family is a bunch of wimps. Thanks for the recipe.

Michael

Copyright

© 2007 All writing and photography is owned by Lollya.